Pages

Monday, February 22, 2016

Blast From The Past - Time Bandits

Hello everyone, Dave here, and welcome to Blast From The Past, where we review movies from "ancient history".

Today, we're checking out: Time Bandits (1981).


Here's the description from IMDB: Young history buff Kevin (Craig Warnock) can scarcely believe it when six dwarfs emerge from his closet one night. Former employees of the Supreme Being (Ralph Richardson), they've purloined a map charting all of the holes in the fabric of time and are using it to steal treasures from different historical eras.

Time Bandits, to me, is a precursor to movies like The Goonies where a ragtag group of people, in this case "dwarfs", seek out adventure and inevitably get more than they bargained for. It's part fantasy, part science fiction, and part comedy, combining time travel with the ultimate battle between good and evil.

The story felt a little weak to me, but it's difficult to really feel the movie as it was meant to be felt, being it's more than 30 years old. I was impressed with some of the visual effects, with one battle reminding me of the practical effects used in A New Hope. The acting was spot on, though felt satirical in some areas, which I can only imagine is how it was meant to be. The movie didn't feel or play out like a parody, but certainly dealt some blows to historical figures and danced precariously on the edge of sacrilegious.

But if you come at the movie as humorous and fun, you might not get offended. For me, it was a strange mixture of enjoyment and confusion. I don't think it's on my list of must see movies, unless you're really into the 80's movie genre, but it was/is a good movie.

My rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment