Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Daredevil Season 2 Review: Episodes 5-8










Sure, I may be a bit behind on Daredevil season 2, but cut me some slack. Two kids, pregnant wife and Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (reviewed here) just opened so, ya know, a lot on my plate. But I've gotten through the next four episodes and here's my review.


While the first four episodes of Daredevil season 2 was Daredevil vs. the Punisher, episodes 5-8 are the trial of the Punisher. After convincing the now notorious killer to accept their help free of charge, Nelson and Murdoch enter the spotlight for the trial of the century. Things quickly go awry however when Matt's nighttime activities lead him and Elektra down an ominous rabbit hole, and away from his day job, leaving Foggy and Karen to handle the high profile case.

Continuing his amazing performance is John Bernthal as the Frank Castle a.k.a. the Punisher. At one point, Karen explains that the death of Castle's family isn't something that happened to him, but it's something that is happening to him.  Bernthal's performance exemplifies that statement perfectly. When he's on screen, there is a constant sense of unpredictability; that this man may do anything at any time with the rage pent up inside.

The character of Elektra started out very intriguing to me. The journey we're on in these episodes is to discover her motivations and the secrets she's keeping. Unfortunately, those secrets aren't all that interesting or original. However, ever present in her story line is the running theme of killer or hero. Matt is constantly trying to steer Elektra away from the Punisher route and toward a less than lethal method which is a major theme throughout the second season so far.

I was shocked when I found that the story line I'm most invested in is the dynamic between the Nelson and Murdoch team and how the relationships between Foggy, Karen and Matt are evolving. I love the philosophical differences rearing their heads within the Matt and Karen relationship and the way that inevitably affects their budding romance.

All in all, I'm thoroughly enjoying season 2. I'm hoping to get most of the rest of the season under my belt by the end of this weekend so watch for the rest of my reviews. Also be sure to comment below or tweet me @DustyHaynes your thoughts on Daredevil season 2.

Click her to read my review of episodes 1-4!


No comments:

Post a Comment