Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Movie Review: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Hi everyone, Dave here, and welcome to another edition of Movie Reviews!

Today we're talking about "X-Men: Days of Future Past"!


If I could sum up how I felt as the credits rolled, it would be: "uhm...what?" But kind of in a good way. So think of Days as primarily the sequel to First Class, which the main part of the movie does follow. And I'm happy that they continued the story from First Class, with all the same characters, as well as introducing some newer mutants. The confusing part is due to the time travel mechanic. So it is at this point that you should think about, not only the events of X:3 (from the original trilogy), but also the events of The Wolverine (the one where Hugh Jackman is in Japan). Now, I don't know about you, but I find tying to follow two different time lines, at once, hard work!

What I really liked about the movie was that everyone was here, and this is not a spoiler, because think about it - we're essentially starting over with the events of First Class so nothing of the original X trilogy has happened yet, and besides, "everyone" is rather vague. What's more, I was worried that with "everyone" being featured in the movie, it would get way too crowded, and I mean, for a couple seconds here and there it did feel a little crazy, but during those scenes, I think that's how it was meant to feel: crazy. I also really enjoyed how the writing team flushed out these characters (specifically Charles and Eric), and gave them this amazing range of emotions that really made you forget, at times, they're not just like you and me (unless of course you're a mutant 'cause mutants are awesome).

Was the movie good? Absolutely - I personally thought it almost on the same level as "First Class". With everything they had to juggle in this movie, I thought they did a great job. Were some parts confusing and hard to watch? Yeah, there was that, but in the grand scheme of things, you gotta expect that with the way CGI and action scenes are going these days. Did this movie solve every "problem" with the original trilogy? Well, I suppose that's an opinionated question and therefore deserves your opinionated answer; for Dusty and myself the answer was "no". But I'm not sure we expected it to solve everything we personally found "wrong" or "missing" in the original trilogy; after all - we didn't direct it.

At the end of the day, if you're on the fence about seeing it - I'd highly recommend watching it, especially if you enjoyed "First Class".

No comments:

Post a Comment