Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Ranked: Top Five Wedding Movies

Wedding, Crashers, Vince, Vaughn
Hey everyone! Dusty here and this Friday is my wedding day. That's right, i'm tying the knot and of course, as a cinephile, in leading up to that big day my mind can't help but wander to all the wonderful weddings I've been witness to on the big screen! So in honor of my own wedding I'm here to give you my picks for the top 5 best wedding films.


Number 5 - Meet the Parents

Meet, Parents, Ben, Stiller, Robert, DeNiro

Synopsis: Male nurse Greg Focker meets his girlfriend's parents before proposing, but her suspicious father is every date's worst nightmare.

In my mind, my wedding goes off without one single hiccup. Of course, in reality that is pretty unlikely; but whatever happens I'm almost certain it won't be as bad as what happens to the Burns family and Greg in Meet the Parents. Scene after scene, the weekend (hilariously) descends into more and more chaos as Greg digs his hole deeper and deeper. So who cares if the potatoes turn out a little dry; at least I didn't have to spray paint a cat!

Number 4 - License to Wed

wedding, movie, license, wed, robin, williams

Synopsis: A reverend puts an engaged couple through a grueling marriage preparation course to see if they are meant to be married in his church.

Asking tough questions of its main characters and, by extension, us as an audience such as "Are we ready to get married" or "What makes a couple work" are one of the many reasons License to Wed stands way out in my mind. Robin Williams is at his best as the unorthodox reverend and John Krasinski and Mandy Moore give honest and heartfelt performances as the love struck couple. In the end, this movie reassures me that my fiance and I are more than ready!

Number 3 - I Love You, Man

wedding, love, you, man, Rudd, Segel,

Synopsis: Friendless Peter Klaven goes on a series of man-dates to find a Best Man for his wedding. But when his instant bond with his new B.F.F. puts a strain on his relationship with his fiance, can the trio learn to live happily ever after?

While not quite as hopeless as Peter Klaven, I myself have been a "girlfriend guy" to some extent. I definitely have good friends and my best man +David Cox is as good a friend as they come, but the concept of making new guy friends now that I'm a grown up, out of school and working in an office full of women is a strange thing. How in the world does such a thing happen? I think that's why I Love You, Man appeals to me so much. Not to mention that it throws together two of the funniest and most likable actors in Hollywood today: Paul Rudd and Jason Segel. So I raise a glass to I Love You, Man for making it okay to love my future wife with all my heart, but also value my guy friends just as much....in a completely non-sexual, totally straight way.

Number 2 - Wedding Crashers


Synopsis: A pair of committed womanizers who sneak into weddings to take advantage of the romantic tinge in the air find themselves at odds with one another when one of them falls in love with his would-be conquest.

Wedding movies love to play on the idea that love is in the air during the big day and all of the guests are swept away by it. Well if that's true, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson are the dust pan. Buried within this story of two near middle aged creepers is another story of bro-mance and romance colliding. The best thing about Wedding Crashers is its quotability. With so many one liners, it joins classics like Anchorman and Dumb and Dumber in the list of films that still come up in daily conversation with friends nearly 10 years after its release. So when things start going downhill at my own wedding, I simply have to remember one thing: "Rule Number 76: No Excuses; Play like a champion."

Number 1 - Father of the Bride

wedding, movie, steve, martin, father, bride

Synopsis: A remake of the 1950 Spencer Tracy film, Father of the Bride casts Steve Martin as a loving father who learns his daughter is engaged. He now must plan and pay for the wedding while coming to terms with losing his little girl. 

Weddings are typically happy occasions. The whole joining together aspect overshadows a different perspective: that of the father (or mother) who feels they are losing their child. This movie elegantly navigates this experience with both heartwarming and heart wrenching finesse. As a groom, I don't have to deal with that part of it right now, but as a father of one and one on the way, I can already see similar heartache in my own future. So on my wedding day, I'll celebrate the start of my partnership with my wife but I won't forget that she is still someone else's daughter. 

So there are they are folks, my top 5 wedding movies, Ranked! Wish me luck for my wedding on Friday and feel free to comment with your favorite wedding movies. Also, look forward to more Ranked posts in the future! 

Source For All Images: Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment